Wednesday, June 7, 2017

The New Math

So, here's the thing: I have this idea that I've been wrestling with over the past year or so. I didn't want to call it a "theory" exactly, because that sounds all fancy and technical and legit, like I've been doing research on it and writing theses and dissertations on it and whatever. But when I looked up
"theory" on vocabulary.com it told me, essentially, that a theory is a belief that can guide behavior. And this thing I've been thinking about has certainly been guiding my behavior, so I'm calling it a theory. I call this theory The New Math.


Okay, here's the other thing: This theory isn't necessarily new and it really has nothing to do with math, although it kind of involves an equation of sorts. Have I lost you yet?? Here it is:


Access + Exposure + Opportunity = Possibility

Yes, leave it to me to replace numbers with words in a math equation. It's the only way math makes sense to me.  So, what does it all mean?

I teach in an urban school district. In fact, I myself attended school in an urban district, the very one in which I teach, actually. The students in our schools are predominantly Black, with a few other races sprinkled here and there. A significant percentage of our students receive free or reduced lunches. Are resources limited? That's a discussion for another time. I will say, however, that there are other districts with a lot more resources. Let's just stick a pin in that for now, because I don't want to just focus on schools. Parents play a part in this, as well. The resources parents provide for their children are just as important and powerful as the ones from school.

Hmm. I'm beginning to feel like I'm going to have to write multiple posts just to introduce this "theory." There are a lot of moving parts. Just know it has to do with equity in education. I'll be back! 

No comments: